Never Alone: Ministry to the Elderly
Our mission is to bring Christ’s love into the world by serving the elderly and dying, particularly the lonely. We bring them the light of Christ by providing companionship and glorifying God in all we do.
Get in Touch
- Visit an elderly resident once a week
- Caring Card Program- Write cards to be delivered to the elderly
- Wedding Cup Program- Attend a wedding rehearsal and give the couple a gift to show that we are thinking about them as they begin their new journey
- Military Stand Down Day- We have a Praying Under God’s Canopy booth to provide spiritual time for veterans who need a special way of remembering those who lost their lives for our country
- Cooking Sunday Night Dinner
- Multiple other opportunities throughout the year!
History of our Group
The Never Alone Ministry to the Elderly was started at the suggestion of Lora Beard, a student at Purdue University who worked with the elderly before coming to Purdue and wanted a way to continue working with them while she was away from home. She approached Fr. Joseph Minuth, OP who made Lora’s dream a reality in 2012. Students and Parishioners were recruited to work with Serenity Hospice and the number of volunteers has continued to grow.
Because not everyone is comfortable with working with the dying, the Ministry expanded its outreach in 2014 to visitation at the Indiana Veterans’ Home and University Place. Those who want to visit and interact with residents arrange a time and day they will volunteer to spend time with them.
As other needs began to become known, a music ministry, Movement D, was added for those who have a talent for playing a musical instrument, singing or dancing or who love storytelling.
A one hour training and orientation is offered by arrangement with Julie Haskell. After identifying the ministry choice and placement facility, the volunteer coordinators are given the name and contact information for the volunteer. A TB test and background check will then be arranged before assignment with a resident.
Please consider bringing your love and talents to the lonely, alone and unwanted people in our community who will reward you with their love and appreciation for your generosity and kindness to them. After a few visits you will realize how lucky and how blessed you are to be a part of this ministry.